Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Instructors Interview: How Did You Meet?

by Ryan and Sarah, 1st part
-->
Ryan:  It was March 12, 2004 – my birthday.  I ran to the mailbox expecting a thick envelope from Notre Dame accepting me into their Alliance for Catholic Education (ACE) program.  Nothing.  Disappointed, I went into my apartment, hit play on my answering machine, and half listened to a series of birthday wishes.  The last one grabbed my attention:  “Happy Birthday, Ryan!  This is the principal at St. Marianne School.  Just calling to wish you a happy birthday and tell you how excited we are to welcome you to the City of Angels this fall.”  So I was accepted after all!  I would be quitting (what I once considered) my “dream job” as an internal auditor at the University of Notre Dame in order to answer God's call to the vocation of teaching.  After taking summer classes, my guardian angel would accompany me to the “City of Angels,” where 32 fourth graders awaited my arrival.  “This is big,” I thought.  But little did I know, God was orchestrating something even bigger.

4th grade in L.A. after soccer practice
Sarah:  I was preparing to graduate from college with a degree in education but felt the call to service.  Notre Dame's ACE program seemed to be a perfect fit.   
It would allow me to serve in an under-resourced Catholic school while still beginning my teaching career and, as an added bonus, I would be earning my Master's degree as well.  I had applied and interviewed and was simply waiting for notice.  Because I was not the typical candidate (I would already have a degree in education), I was a little concerned about my chances.  Spring break arrived.  I played on my university's tennis team and we were leaving for a trip to Hilton Head Island for a week of matches.  Just as I started to get in the shower, one of my roommates yelled that the mail had arrived and I had a packet.  I only had about 30 minutes to make the team van but I raced downstairs to see what awaited me.  I was accepted to the program and felt so grateful for the chance to fulfill my heart's desire of teaching and service.  What I didn't know was that letter would also be the start of another “call” from God. 

Ryan:  In late April, ACE hosted a weekend retreat for the new class and their principals.  After a weekend full of meetings and social events, I was sure I had met everyone.  The final event was a Sunday brunch in the North Dining Hall.  I got up from my table to head toward the buffet, when I spotted her.  She was sitting alone, waiting for the rest of her table to return with their food.  I thought, “Wait!  Who is that?!  Why haven't I met her?”  She was beautiful and had a mature, poised presence about her.  She seemed older than the other “ACErs”.  (Keep in mind, I was the “old guy”.  Most were right out of undergrad, while I had been out for 6 years.)  But that was the end of the weekend, and I would have to wait another month to find out the identity of this mystery girl.  The first day of classes, I made it a priority to figure it out.  Her name was Sarah, and she would be teaching in Biloxi, Mississippi.  Perfect!  My randomly assigned summer roomate was also headed to the Biloxi community.  There's my in!

Our whole "carpool" group

Sarah:  ACE Summer began and it was a full load.  As “first years” (it was a two year program) we not only had to take plenty of classes but also complete student teaching.  Besides having every single class together, Ryan and I were assigned the same school for our student teaching.  There were a total of five of us at the school and we would take turns driving each day so we could all carpool.  Naturally, when you spend required teaching and class time with people, you also start eating meals and socializing with them.  Meals would end and everyone would be outside the dining hall talking and suddenly Ryan and I would find ourselves alone, still chatting on the steps.  Ryan wanted to see how he matched up with a Division I tennis player and challenged me to a match (he lost and still does every time we play!).  I was also an avid runner.  He pretended to enjoy jogging as well and actually went with me one day (8 years later, that is still the ONLY time he has jogged with me!).  One night I had to go pick up my car from my parents house.  I asked Ryan to give me a ride half way there.  Halfway turned into having dinner at my parents house, meeting them for the first time, and a movie – our first date!  Surprisingly, after taking him to my parents house on our first date, Ryan asked me to “go out” again.  Eventually, we found ourselves spending some time near the gorgeous Our Lady of Lourdes replica grotto on campus.  It was here, under the watchful eye of our Blessed Mother, where we had our first kiss. (to be continued...)

Our first photo

No comments:

Post a Comment